Social Security for All
About 90 per cent of workers are in the unorganized sector and many of them are daily wage earners. A bout of illness or an accident or the onset of old age means absence of daily earnings and severe financial stress for the families. The government is not coming to the rescue of these unorganized sector workers and the indigent.
Lok Satta government will ensure social security, financial assistance and social justice the exploited sections of our society. These sections include: small farmers, agricultural labourers, hawkers, handicraft workers, handloom workers, toddy tappers, carpenters, potters, blacksmiths and other traditional services; construction labourers, contract workers, casual labourers, coolies/hamalis, rickshaw drivers, auto- rickshaw drivers, taxi drivers and truck drivers; unorganised labourers in private schools, shops, nursing homes and related services; DWCRA, DWCUA and other women groups.
43. Social Security for one Crore Families
- Lok Satta government will guarantee financial security of Rs. 1 lakh for one crore low-income families in a span of seven years.
- For the first time in the country social security will be ensured, with necessary legal provisions, to all families in the unorganized sector who earn a monthly income of less than Rs.5000.
- Under the scheme, a family that saves Rs.400 a month will receive an equivalent matching grant from the Government so that in seven years, it will have accumulated upto Rs.1,00,000 including interest.
- Upon the maturity of the account, the account holder can withdraw all of the amount, or he/she can receive a monthly pension every month.
- In case of an emergency, the account holders can withdraw the money saved.
- The corpus will enable the family to take up an economic activity of its choice and lead an honorable life without any crutches.
44. Security for Vulnerable Sections
- Lok Satta government will guarantee social security to poor citizens with no source of income and to people who need state assistance.
- Lok Satta government will ensure corruption and delay-free pensions for the elderly, widows, and the absolute poor who have no source of income.
- Enhancement of incomes will be ensured by modernizing handicrafts.
- Physically challenged citizens will be provided with financial security and special incentives.
- Senior citizens, ex-servicemen, and retired employees will be made partners in social service and necessary special incentives will be provided.