What is POLICE REFORMS CAMPAIGN?
Police Reforms Campaign is a citizens' campaign for systemic changes in the Police and Crime Investigation System in our country. Big words- that simply mean making the police force work better for us.
POLICE REFORMS provides the necessary platform and effective tools for citizen participation. Anyone who believes that status quo is not acceptable and change is possible can join the movement.
This campaign works on certain premises:
- That the necessity of "Police Force" is an admission by the civil Society that "crime" cannot be eliminated and therefore must be minimized
- That there would always exist persons who will disregard the "Rule of Law" and take "Law" into their own hands
- That this is true of perpetrators of crime and also the victims if justice is delayed or denied
- Therefore it is vital that criminals are identified, found guilty and punished swiftly according to the law of the land
- That fulfillment of this objective depends entirely on the degree of efficiency with which Crime Investigation Machinery and judicial system functions
- That the Police Force ought to be feared and respected if India wants to provide a dignified life to its citizens and fulfill its dream about becoming superpower in the world
Increasing crime, acquittals of well known mafia dons, poor investigation, overburdened police force, increasing frustration amongst police personnel, citizens lack of faith in police
Who is to be blamed?
The constable who is powerless?
The Police Force, which is accountable to the State?
The State, which is burdened with too many issues?
The common man, who is suffering everyday?
If there are so many problems and no one is at fault, then there is something wrong with the system. POLICE REFORMS Campaign recognizes the systemic failure and suggests workable solutions
The Justice System
The large pendency of cases in our courts (30 million) is a well-known symptom of failure of rule of law. Our investment on judiciary is abysmally low, at less than 0.2% of the GDP. Nothing demonstrates the failure of governance than the incapacity to bring the guilty to book.
The justice system is in a mess. Changing it is a Herculean task. The problem is more complex than mere budgetary allocation and number of judges. The quality of judges is less than satisfactory, procedures are archaic and easily prone to manipulation and endless delays.
As the population grows, so does the pressure on the system. Let us look at the realities that challenge the justice system.
- Changes can be made only with structural and systemic reforms.
- Independent Crime Investigation
- Removing external control on Police personnel to manipulate the investigations will help in delivering justice.
Independent Oversight Body
To enhance the public's trust in the Police force, an external accountability body is needed
Independent Supervisory Body
Insulating the police force from executive's interference with appointments, transfers and promotions will create an environment based on merit and competence
Local Police Force
The creation of a local police force will lessen the burden in the existing system and promote its efficiency
Aims of POLICE REFORMS CAMPAIGN
The Police Reforms Campaign has certain simple but far reaching goals:
- Ensure that the rule of law prevails in all aspects of human life.
- Make the Police Force work better for the citizens.
- Make the Police Force work more efficiently.
- Give a better quality of life to the policeman.